Certifications are a validation of your skill set and can propel your career to greater heights. It is a good way for you to get an edge over your competition. A recent survey revealed that more than 55 % of the respondents with new certifications reported getting a bonus and upto 70% of the respondents with certifications reported getting a raise, highlighting the increasing importance of certifications to an individual’s professional career.
Today, some of the popular certifications in the industry are offered by Oracle. Oracle certifications are divided into nine main categories:
- Oracle Database
- Oracle Cloud
- Oracle Java and Middleware
- Oracle Industries
- Oracle Virtualization
- Oracle Enterprise Management
- Oracle Systems
- Oracle Applications
- Oracle Operating Systems
With an Oracle Certification, you can showcase your technical expertise to your potential employers. In this article I will explore the different steps you have to cross to get an Oracle Database certification.
3 Steps To Get An Oracle Database Certification
Step 1 – Get Your Associate Certification
In the first step, you should get your Associate certification. In order to do that, you have to successfully clear two tests, so that you become certified as an Oracle Certified Associate (OCA). This qualification would enable you to work as an application developer or as a team member in junior database management. You have to successfully clear any one of the three tests such as Oracle Database 12c: SQL Fundamentals 1Z0-061, Oracle Database SQL Expert 1Z0-047 or Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I 1Z0-051and a final test called as Oracle Database 11g: Administration to get the associate certification.
Oracle Database 12c: SQL Fundamentals 1Z0-061
With this test, your ability to develop, retrieve, edit, and maintain data in a database is tested. For this, you need to be fluent in important concepts like relational database. As the test might need you to showcase your SQL programming knowledge, a deep understanding and use of SQL is a plus for you.
Oracle Database 11g: Administration I 1Z0-052
To clear this exam, you need to know about securing Oracle instances, be it any network environment and setting up database environments. You also need to be familiar with how to configure security instances, understanding of Oracle Database Architecture and knowledge of database backup and recovery. You need to know how to practically apply concepts, not just memorize information.
Oracle Database SQL Expert 1Z0-047
An advanced version of the “Introduction to Oracle9i SQL” test, this test content incorporates set and conditional operators and the content is more recent than the older version. A grasp of 76 topics and proficiency in control-privileges,database objects and system-level queries are needed to ace this test. You will also need mastery over SQL and experience in database administration for this test.
Step 2 – Get Your Professional Certification
With the professional certification, you will be allowed to create large-scale database applications and handle large databases. You have to undergo an instructor-led training, a hands-on course and an exam in order to become an Oracle Certified Professional (OCP).
- The prerequisite for this course is that you need to be an Oracle Certified Associate
- You need to select a course from the 50 courses in the Oracle website and then appear for the exam. Choose a course based on your training needs. Also, remember that the course requirements cannot be met through self-study. It is necessary that you learn via training -on-demand, or a take a virtual class or an instructor-led class
- Third, you need to submit an already completed course from a list of 21 courses. You also have the option of submitting courses that you have taken as mentioned in the second point
- Take the final exam in the OCP certification process, that is Oracle Database 11g: Administration II 1Z0-053. After you clear the exam, you can move to the last stage
- After you complete the final exam, you have to submit a course completion form
Step 3 – Master Certification
This is Oracle’s highest certification. The certification enables you to make careers in the senior-most levels in the IT departments, where you will be working with sensitive database applications and system issues. To get started, you will require an OCP certification. Upon getting it, you need to undergo training for two days and then take a hands-on course. Herebelow are the ways to go about it:
- In order to get the certification, Oracle Certified Master, you should first get certified as an OCP
- You should complete two advanced courses from a list of 30 Oracle courses. These can coincide with the courses in OCP certification process. However, the courses athat you have done to get your Oracle Certified Professional certification can’t be employed to fulfill the requirements of OCM. Also, like with OCP courses, you have to undergo training in these courses via virtual class, on-demand training or through instructor-led training.
- You should submit the course that you have completed. This can be either from the course list provided in the 2nd point or a listen of almost 20 courses given
- You should clear the Oracle Database 11g: Certified Master Exam 11GOCM, which is the last exam . Clearing this exam is necessary to fulfill the requirements of the complete Oracle certification. There are, however, certain small steps needed to get the Oracle Certified Master certification
- You should then fill up a course submission form and submit it to show that you have satisfied all the course requirements to get qualified as an Oracle Certified Master
- Finally, you should submit a request for the fulfillment kit. This form is the last essential thing for the certification and is submitted along with the course submission form
With a certification like Oracle Certified database administrator, you can give credibility of your technical expertise to potential clients and employers