When it comes to technical implementation for business growth, the technology in a great demand is, Cloud Computing. We are aware of its power to deploy and manage other in-house protocols which are solely responsible for quality assessment.
Cloud computing technologies are offered by many leading companies like AWS, Microsoft, Tableau and Google with different architecture and usage. The users can go for any of them as per their requirements and internal business structures and frames.
What is Google Cloud Computing?
If you think that Google is just a search engine with emails, videos and images storage, and few other functionalities, this article is going to change your perception. Yes! Google also is a fully fledged cloud computing body with absolutely amazing features.
Its cloud computing platform provides an excellent base making it easy to build a range of programs from simple websites to highly complex applications.
Elements of Cloud Computing Platform
There are five major elements listed in the Google Cloud Computing Platform. They are deployed for unique tasks.
- Google Compute Engine: This is an IaaS service introduced by Google that provides VMs similar to Amazon EC2.
- Google App Engine: This is a PaaS service for hosting applications directly. It is a very powerful platform to develop mobile and web apps that have automatic scaling functionalities. This platform is quite similar to AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
- Cloud Functions: This is a serverless platform on Google cloud computing platform used exclusively to build event-based microservices. It is extremely fast and has automatic scaling properties. Hence it permits events to trigger functions without the use of developer resource management. As of now, it is in alpha-testing FaaS service.
- Google Container Engine: It allows the user to run docker containers on Google Cloud Platform which are triggered by Kubernetes. Different features are Docker support, hybrid networking, private container registry, identity and access management.
- Container Registry: It is a private Docker image storage functionality. It is quite fast, with regional repositories, container tags, advanced authentication, search images, nearline storage integration and Docker CLI integration.
Why Google Cloud Computing?
The major reason behind choosing Google Cloud services is because it offers hosting on the same supporting infrastructure that it uses for other end user products such as Google Search and Youtube.
In other words, it enables you to focus on the next step of your business. It sets you free from overburdened tasks like infrastructure management, server provisioning and configuring networks. So now, coders can only code and innovators, well, they get a clean road to go and innovate.
Other reasons that are apt to choose this platform are:
1. Strong Infrastructure for the Future
Google cloud platform is highly secure, user-friendly, cost-effective, global and constantly upgrading. You need not worry about the frequent changes in business market infrastructures as Google keeps upgrading for the future everyday with latest technical updates.
Other features in this category are:
- Live migration: The instances in Google Compute Engine can be relocated to the hosts present nearby in active state. No matter whether it is under extreme load, it can be moved with their working SSD storage (up to 1.5 TB).
- Customizable Machine Types: Do you want to save money from over-provisioning your machines to fit to your vendor’s rate card? Well, here you get the flexibility to configure an apt combination of memory and virtual CPU for a specific workload.
- Global Load Balancers: The built-in load balancer of this platform is part of a worldwide distributed system for delivering an infrastructure based on the same system that supports major end-user Google products like Google Maps, Gmail and Search.
- Google Grade Security: This is one of the best features in Google cloud computing. Assuring security across Google applications like Google Apps and Gmail, the Google security model is an end-to-end process managed by over 500 experts with 15 years of experience.
- Enjoy other fantastic features in this category of Google cloud computing, such as faster boot time, sub-second archive restore and Google network of data centers.
2. Highly Powerful Data and Analytics
It provides the most advanced technology, the ‘Big Data’, to search and find answers quicker than ever, and build better products.
- Big Data Service: If you are aware of Google’s excellent distributed data service provided via Google Big Query, Google Cloud Dataproc and Google Cloud Datalab, you know how data analysis and usage are changing day by day. The queries that used to take several hours or days in the beginning are now done in few minutes with tools like Big Query.
- Context-oriented Applications: Google’s applications like Maps and Cloud Dataflow suggest you the best options as per your query. They respond to context and provide relevant information.
- Citizen Data Science: This is a very powerful feature. According to it, the Google cloud does not limit the tools to the hands of few experts in an organization, but empowers the entire organization. For example, tools like Cloud Datalab and BigQuery in Google cloud computing and Big Data services bring data directly to all the employees who run the business because they are more likely to get valuable insights.
- Machine Intelligence: Now get access to Google’s deep learning systems which fuel services like Google Photos, Google Translate and Voice Search in Google Apps. This technology works behind smart replies in Gmail also.
3. No Ops Anymore – Only Coding
This means Google cloud computing encourages a proper usage of time by devoting most of the precious cycles to code and lesser in configuring infrastructure. So, no more thinking about reliability, capacity and performance.
Now you can move from prototypes to production and finally to planet-scale in no time.
- Cloud is easier now: Have you ever faced problems when there is a change in your traffic and data storage needs? Now creating, maintaining and scaling cloud has become easier. The Google App Engine supports microservices, load balancing, SQL and noSQL databases, memcache, versioning, search and security scanning.
- Containers: Containers in Google cloud computing platform simplify running codes at scale by breaking down conventional software stacks. Google handed over the source code for containers to Linux Foundation. Later they worked with the industry to create an orchestration engine which was used to launch 2 billion containers every week. It was named, Kubernetes.
Although the initial release of Google cloud computing platform was in October 6, 2011, its elements were released before and have undergone great improvements since then. Google App Engine was released in April 2008 as a preview. Written in very sophisticated programming languages like Python, Go, Java and Ruby, it has a proprietary license.
Lately, on 18th October, 2016, Google announced a new open source platform known as Nomulus. It is written in Java with source code licensed under Apache 2.0. Even though it is integrated with Google’s Cloud Computing Platform, it utilizes Google Cloud Datastore for backend database.